Friday, January 16, 2009


I've been quiet lately (no pun intended) but I haven't abandoned the ol'blog. I've been having an RA flare-up  since the summer and other than a quick article post here and there, I haven't really been able to type.  I have finally been given some better medication though so hopefully things will settle down soon. 

Recently, my blog has been found by a few
Google Searchers looking for info on masks for MCS. I've mentioned my mask use in the past, however it occurred to me that I haven't talked about what I use to keep myself breathing clean.

I currently use the  Respro Aero mask.  It's entirely hypoallergenic and provides Hepa type filtration against chemicals and particulates. In Canada, the Aero mask and filters can be ordered from Quorum Allergy 

Previously and as pictured in this post, I was using the Respro Techno mask. It provided the same quality of protection as the Aero mask I now use, however it is made of neoprene, which I have since found I am allergic to. In Canada, the Techno mask  and filters can be purchased at Mountain Equipment Co-op


Filters should be replaced every 30 days or after 69 hours of use, whichever comes first. It is also good to note that the Techno filters can also be used in Aero mask if you don't require your mask to be 100% hypoallergenic.  As so far the Techno filters don't seem to bother me, I use them in my Aero mask simply because they are easier for me to buy at MEC in Ottawa.  When I do plan ahead, I order the Aero filters from Quorum but sometimes I simply forget and need a replacement ASAP. 

When looking for a mask, it really is all about personal preference and comfort.  Everyone with MCS  has different triggers so you need to choose the mask that is best for you. Good luck. Life wearing a mask isn't fun, but at least it's a little bit safer.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment